The Franklin Paper Mill built in 1808, gave the village its first name, Franklin Factory. By 1830, three enterprising brothers, John, and Charles E., and Samuel Wethered, were operating a woolen mill. The brothers also built the Ashland Mill on the east side Gwynns Falls, and contributed toward the construction of a church and school. During that time, the village came to be known as 'Wetheredsville'. In 1871, the Wethereds sold the property to William J. Dickey. He paid $82,000 for 300 acres, three mills and many of the houses in the village. In turn, Mr. Dickey sold the entirety to The Ashland Manufacturing Co. while remaining on as their agent. After a fire and the Panic of 1873, Mr. Dickey worked long and hard to bring about expansion and prosperity. After William J. Dickey’s death in 1896, his younger son, William A. Dickey became president of the Ashland Manufacturing Company. In 1898, the name of the village was changed to Dickeyville to honor William J. Dickey. The Dickey family sold out to the newly incorporated Ashland Manufacturing Co. in 1909, but with the decline of the textile business, the mills eventually closed. In 1934, the properties which included much of the village of 81 homes and three mills, were sold at auction for $42,000. A local development company embarked upon the restoration of the properties. The buildings that remained were redesigned and modernized. The vision and foresight of the developers ensured the preservation of the village. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1968, and is maintained by its residents with enormous care and pride.